Bristol Saint Vintage: DIY Hessian Lampshade

Friday, 1 February 2013

DIY Hessian Lampshade

As i've only been in my new flat for a few weeks, things are still looking a little bare and unfinished!
My mum gave me this old lampshade from my little sisters room but I wasn't too keen on the roses so I think instead of saying no, i'd try and do something with it!

Second Image by Magan Blasig 

I found this amazingly simple tutorial online from 'Tatertots and Jello' (such a sweet name!) which is an amazing copy of a lamp from Anthropologie. 


All you need is some fabric (they used burlap and I'm using hessian), the lamp shade and a glue gun and glue sticks.

First of all I took the flowers off of the shade to get it back to the basic form.


I then measured the shade and added on 3 cm to the length measurement and 1 cm to the width measurement. Then cut out the hessian to this size.



Using the glue gun I then glued the material to the base by folding over at the top and bottom and securing with glue as tightly as possible.



I then began cutting out strips in the fabric which were 1 and a half times the length of the shade, then folded them lengthways and ironed them.


I began putting glue down the folds of the strips and placing them onto the shade in a wiggly line. I ended up using 20 strips but you can have as many or as little as you want!



The finished shade!
I went a bit over board with the hessian and have loads left! If anyone wants a shade doing let me know! You could go other ways with this too - by having the strips twirled into rose shapes, diagonally or maybe spelling out a name even!

All in all I spent £1.99 on glue sticks (i had a gun already) and £4.49 on 1.5 metres of hessian (which was too much!) I used 6 glue sticks and a quarter.of the hessian so -

New shade : £2.11